As we all are aware of the fact of increasing air pollution in cities. It is advised to wear masks to avoid small particles entering your nose and causing harm. Here I am not going to discuss the effects of air pollution. But what if I told you the air inside your house can be as polluted as outside. Maybe it is time for you to take a look into the air duct system of your house.
When was the last time you bothered to clean the air duct system of your house?
In this blog, I am going to discuss why it is important to clean the air duct system of your house, and before hiring an air duct cleaning service, what are things that you should expect from them.
The air ducts present in your house play a very important role in maintaining your house’s environment. Air circulated through the air ducts multiple times a day and the same air you and your family breathe.
This circulation of air through the air ducts keeps your home environment fresh. Now you can understand how important clean air ducts are for your family’s health.
Here are some of the most important benefits of getting your air duct professionally cleaned:
Though there are so many benefits of clean air ducts, here I am mentioning some of the most important ones.
- Creates a fresh home environment: A contaminated air duct may contain thousands of tiny dust particles which circulate with the same air that passes through the air ducts and throughout your home environment. Then those particles land on your bed, your flooring, and everywhere in your home. But after getting the air duct cleaned by professionals, ducts will no longer contain those dust particles and ultimately fresh and clean air will circulate through your home environment.
- Reduces Allergens: With tiny little dust particles, comes allergens and micro-organisms. These are very harmful and can make your whole home environment contaminated. These allergens include pollen fiber, bacteria, pet dander, mold spores, etc. And those people who have asthma, allergy, or any other respiratory problems can be very sensitive to these air particles.
Regular cleaning of air ducts will reduce the number of air ducts present in your home environment and make your family breathe fresh and safe air.
- Gets rid of unpleasant odors: Everything from paint fumes to tobacco use and even food preparation can make fresh air smell bad. And every time the same air circulates through the air ducts, they fill the whole house environment with foul smells.
A good cleaning of air ducts can remove those smell-capturing particles and help your house environment smell pleasant again.
- Helps in easier breathing: Though your family may not have anyone who suffers from allergy or asthma still bad air can affect them. Pollutants and dust particles can enter through the nose and cause coughing and sneezing to even the healthiest person.
It can also trigger problems like sinus or bronchial congestion which you do not want for your loved ones.
A clean air duct will circulate clean air through it and provide the households with fresher air. That is why maintenance and regular cleaning of air ducts is very important.
- Help airflow efficiently: After years of using and non-cleaning, the air ducts can gather a heavy buildup of dust inside them which doesn’t let the airflow efficiently through all parts of it. And the whole system will have to put extra effort to provide cool and warm air. Cleaning the air ducts regularly will help the air circulate freely and the whole system will work more efficiently. Which will ultimately lead to a healthier environment for your family.
How to know if your house needs proper air duct cleaning?
People have very limited knowledge about when to do a cleaning of the air duct system. Since every household is different, it is hard to generalize when the air ducts need deep cleaning. But here are some of the things you can observe to make sure whether it requires any cleaning service or not.
- If your family members are suddenly experiencing sneezing and coughing problems, it can be because of the home environment. Consult a doctor before making sure.
- You can take a visual inspection of the system. It is easy for the air ducts to get dirty as it pulls air from outside through the grate but that doesn’t mean your air duct is contaminated.
- When there was an event of fire or smoke near the air duct system which may have contaminated it.
- If there is substantial mold growth inside the system, on the registers, grills, or other components, then you can contact the top air duct cleaning in Los Angeles. They can provide the best air duct cleaning service.
- It is natural that after a few years of usage, it requires proper cleaning. If your air duct hasn’t gotten any cleaning over the years, then it is better to consult the best air duct cleaning.
Now since you have decided that your whole air duct system needs a proper cleaning, your next task is to find a professional who has the competence of doing the whole task professionally. It is quite important to hire a competent cleaning service.
- The Most Common Air Duct Cleaning Problems And How To Fix Them
- 7 Tips To Choose A Reliable Company For Garage Door Services
- Elements and principles of interior design
Here are a few things that should be expected from an air duct cleaning service.
Not every air duct cleaning service provider is equally efficient and knowledgeable. Do not fall for their sweet words. Check the reviews they got for their previous services. Note down at least three companies. Talk to them about details like their charges, what are the techniques they will use, etc. Then decide.
- Certification: Before selecting the professionals, make sure they have got a proper certification of the service they provide. This will assure you of their service. It will be very good if they are NADCA certified air duct, cleaning professionals.
Benefits of NADCA certified service: Before cleaning they will check the whole system using cameras so that they can check the inaccessible areas. If they found asbestos in any of the materials, then they will provide specially trained and equipped professionals.
They will use proper vacuum equipment like High-Efficiency particulate air to make sure no contaminants are released inside the building.
They will seal or repair all the damaged parts so that any contaminants can not enter the air duct ventilation system.
- Use safe products: In the time of cleaning, they can use many chemicals and biocide. Before hiring the professionals, make sure you ask them what products they are going to use. Check if they have any side effects. Check out the pros and cons before letting them use it on your air duct system. Your service providers must use safe
- Good ratings and reviews: Before selecting your service provider, check the ratings and reviews they got for their previous air duct repairing services. See what their customers have to say about them. You must expect them to have good reviews before you choose them over others. You can hire the top air duct cleaning in Los Angeles because they have got the best ratings.
- They must first check the whole air duct system to ensure if there are any asbestos-containing materials. If they are found, they must bring trained professionals to handle the whole procedure.
- They must follow NASCA’s standards for air duct cleaning. That ensures the best quality of service you can get.
Also, there are other factors that you need to take into consideration.
- Use very well-maintained brushing techniques on the duct surfaces.
- They must take care of the duct while cleaning. They should make sure every hole is sealed and well protected.
- They must use vacuum equipment that emits all the dust and contaminated particles outside of your house.
- They must follow NASCA’s standards for air duct cleaning.
How to determine how good the duct cleaning job is?
After the whole cleaning procedures are performed, now it is your turn to examine how efficiently the air duct service providers performed their job.
- Check if the service provider obtained access to the entire heating and cooling system so that it can be easily cleaned next time.
- Check both sides of the cooling coil are properly cleaned or not.
- Make sure the blower compartment is free of dust and the blower blades are dust-free and oil-free.
- Check if all the fiberglass materials are in good condition or not.
- Are all the grills, diffusers, and registers firmly attached to the walls?
- And the most important part is the whole system is doing the heating and cooling job properly as the service providers promised.
Conclusion: According to the experts, home air duct cleaning should be done once every five years. It depends on many things like how old is your house, how close it is to a construction site, does your building generates any dust, etc. Those who have pets should clean their duct system more frequently.
The ventilation system should be checked once or twice a year. Medical stores and hospitals should get their whole air duct system checked by NADCA officials.