Asbestos is harmful and can cause severe health issues if someone is exposed to it. Even a small amount of exposure is enough for these fibers to be inhaled, and when done, it can cause severe health problems like asbestosis, lung cancer, and mesothelioma. That’s why asbestos was banned in Australia and several other continents.
But because of its heat resistant, fire-resistant, and chemical resistant properties, asbestos was widely used in construction in the past. And some remnants of these harmful fibers are still being discovered.
To detect if your house or business property has any hidden asbestos, the first thing you should do is asbestos testing by a certified professional. Now, what to do when asbestos is found? This is what this guide is about. Here, we will point out what exactly you need to do if and when asbestos is detected in your home or business. So, read on.
Asbestos-containing materials were popular before the 1980s and were widely used in construction and insulation. If your home is built in that period, chances are there is asbestos within. However, if your building is new, it is still important to check for asbestos as some of the materials that had been removed can be recycled and used in your property.
It is best to remove asbestos completely before it starts to degrade. Now for that, you must know where they are likely to be found.
It’s best to completely remove any asbestos from your property. But a visual check is often not enough. It is recommended to test a sample for asbestos content. However, getting the samples are best left to the experts as there are several safety measures to be taken to ensure protection from the harmful fiber. These are the steps you need to follow:
1. Sample will be taken from a particular area. Seal it off. Make sure no pets and children are present near the area.
2. Wear personal protective equipment to reduce or nullify the exposure to this harmful fiber.
3. Mix a small amount of detergent with water. This will help in dampening the samples and thus reduce the release of airborne fibers.
4. Using appropriate tools is necessary for removing the fiber. It is recommended to test all the layers of the sample.
5. Use a zip-lock plastic bag and store an adequate amount of sample in it.
6. Now, submit the sample to a certified asbestos testing service provider.
Asbestos can be lying hidden at many other places than what is mentioned here. And any exposure to it can cause serious health damage. So, it’s always better to consult the experts for inspecting and testing any asbestos found.
For a complete and thorough asbestos testing, you may as well contact us. We use sophisticated instruments like handheld spectrometer and handheld magnetic field detector to detect any asbestos that might be present in your property and do the necessary to remove them completely.